“The first of these two parables are intended to instruct believers to prefer the Kingdom of Heaven to the whole world, and therefore to deny themselves and all the desires of the flesh, that nothing may prevent them from obtaining so valuable a possession.” (John Calvin on the Parable of the Treasure, Matthew 13:44)
Yesterday, I wrote a post stating that the main question in sodomy debate is, “Is homosexuality a sin?” Of course, I believe that it is because that is what the Scriptures teach. Tomorrow I will list some specific things the church should do. Today I want to remind us of what sin does to us. It seems easy and loving to say that it is not a big deal if churches compromise on this particular issue. But the Word of God says otherwise.
Sin which is not repented of and turned from:
1. Is displeasing to God. (I Thess. 4:1-12)
2. Separates us from God. (Isaiah 59:1-3)
3. Enslaves us. (John 8:34)
4. Is unnatural. (Romans 1:26-27)
5. Destroys relationships. (James 4:1-6)
6. Destroys families. (David’s Adultery, II Samuel 11-19, Titus 1:10-11)
7. Destroys cultures and cities. (II Kings 17:7-23,Rev. 16:19)
8. Brings death and unfruitfulness. (Romans 6:23)
9. Blinds us to the truth. (Matthew 23:16, 17, 19 24, 26)
10. Brings down the wrath of God. (Col. 3:6)
11. Sends us to Hell. (I Corinthians 6:9-10, Gal. 5:19-21)
No Christian who loves Christ, has understood forgiveness, and loves his neighbor would want someone to remain in the state above. To say that sodomy is not a sin is like sending men and woman to the slaughter house while we tell them they are going to a feast. It is a lie with terrible consequences for men, women, children, churches, cultures, and our witness for Christ. Any minister who declares that something is not a sin, which the Word declares is, has invited the devil into the midst of his church. He has declared, “I love to keep my people enslaved. I refuse to bring them to the One who can free.” The church cannot declare forgiveness of sin and freedom from sin unless she declares that we are sinners.