What must the church do to combat the idea that homosexuality is fine for Christians?
1. She must faithfully and courageously preach the whole Bible. She must particularly preach those passages which the world finds offensive.
2. She must faithfully preach Jesus Christ as Savior and Lord. This means two things: First, he, as our Savior, has defeated sin and can forgive all of our sins. Second, he, as our Lord, commands us to leave off sinful desires and actions.
3. She must faithfully preach that Christ has given his Spirit that we might overcome our sins. Those in Christ are freed from their sins. Sodomy is not excluded. This doesn’t just mean forgiveness, but it also means victory over those sins in our lives.
4. She must faithfully show love to Christ, His Church, and to homosexuals by calling them to repent and turn from their sins. This is to be done graciously, but without compromise.
5. She must faithfully excommunicate all Christians who refuse to turn from their sins. This includes sodomites, adulterers, thieves, liars, pedophiles, pornography addicts, Pharisees, abusive husbands, etc. Here is one of the greatest failures of the modern church. Her refusal to discipline sinners has caused the inner life of the church to rot. It is hypocritical for a church to refuse to discipline the adulterer, but try to discipline the homosexual. Thus most don’t discipline either.
6. She must faithfully work to drive wolves out of the Church. Any man or woman who teaches that sodomy is an acceptable lifestyle for Christians is a wolf who is working with Satan to tear the lambs into pieces. Pastor, elders, seminary professors, etc. must be exposed and disciplined who teach that sodomy is not a sin.
7. She must expect the world to hate her and persecute her. To combat this hatred she must fight with faith in Christ, steadfastness in prayer, clinging to God’s Word, holy living, the communion of saints, faithful worship, and Biblical love for neighbor.