Paul Tripp gives five specific goals each parent should have as they shepherd their teenagers.
1. Focusing on the Spiritual Struggle: Do not allow the seen to trump the unseen.
2. Developing a Heart of Conviction and Wisdom: Teach your children how to obey the Scriptures and to apply wisdom to those places that the Scriptures do not speak directly to.
3. Teaching a Teenager to Understand and Interact Redemptively with His Culture: He must neither reject the culture altogether or drink culture in without a second thought.
4. Developing a Heart for God in Your Teenager: There should be day to day evidence of your teenager’s hunger for God.
5. Preparing Teenagers for Leaving Home: “This is the goal of all those years of parental labor.”